You can replace the treacle with honey and that will turn out just as good. If you don’t know what treacle is, here is a pic:
You can purchase treacle from www.goodwoods.com.
Preheat oven to 325 F. Serves 8 -10
- You will need 2 defrosted frozen pastry shells or make your own. Enough for 2 pies. You will be lining a 10″ fluted tart shell with the pastry it takes a bit more than one pastry shell.
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 HEAPING TBS flour: mix with the sugar
- 4 whole eggs: Add one by one to the sugar/flour mix while beating/whipping.
- 3 TBS treacle(or honey): Beat into the egg/sugar/flour mix.
- 1 Stick Butter, melted. Add to the above mix. Beat well.
- 1 TBS soy milk (you can use regular milk or 2% or 1%…get the picture?)
- Zest of 1/2 a lemon.
- 1/4 cup lemon juice.
Line a 10″ fluted tart pan with your pastry. If you purchase frozen shells, defrost them and line the tart pan. If you made your own pastry, roll it out and line the tart pan. Do not bake the pastry shell yet.
With everything beaten together, pour into the UNBAKED tart shell which you lined with the pastry. If you have any left over filling, I used a mini-pie pan, lined it with any left over pastry and poured the left over filling in it. It was a preview of the “bigger” picture. Bake 45 minutes, or ’til golden brown. You can freeze for later use or let them cool and slice into 8 – 10 slices.