We did it all today. The tree is decorated. The house is clean. Shane went for some training. I made a Noodle Kugel and a Lentil casserole. Phew!
Let me start with the Noodle Kugel. I was watching the FoodNetwork during yesterday’s morning workout and Dave Lieberman made his Grandmother’s Noodle Kugel. So, after making some changes to the recipe to suit my diet, the following was the result. It’s a fat free, sweet, protein rich dessert. Plenty large servings for about 12 people.
- 1 bag (usually about 1/2 lb) Whole Wheat No Yolk Egg Noodles – cooked 4 minutes and strained.
- 1 lb (16 oz container) Fat Free Cottage Cheese
- 2 cups Fat Free Sour Cream (yogurt might be a super substitute for sour cream!)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar Splenda
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 cup egg beaters
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup raisins.
Preheat oven to 375 F. Combine your cooked noodles with the rest of the ingredients and pour into a non-stick sprayed baking dish (9 x 13 size). Bake about 35 – 45 minutes, until top is brown. Let cool and enjoy!
Approx. nutrition: 228 calories. 14 g protein. 1.3 g fat (virtually FAT FREE!), 41.8 g carbs.
Are you ready for dinner? Well that was Lentil Casserole. I mixed it all up before leaving for Shane’s training.
Preheat oven 375 F.
- Cook 1 lb lentils as follows: Rinse, simmer for 30 minutes. Do not drain.
- Saute 3/4 of a large onion, chopped in about 1 TBS olive oil for about 1 minute
- Add 1 heaping tsp minced garlice to onions.
- Add 6 Smart Bacon Strips, chopped to the onion mix.
- Add 6 baby portabella mushrooms. Peeled and sliced. Cook all this for about 2 min.
- Add 2 cups baby spinach leaves. Turn off heat and toss around.
- Mix in large bowl, 1/2 cup egg beaters + 1 TBS parsley + 1 TBS fresh thyme* + 1/4 cup Marinara Sauce + 3/4 cup Reduced Fat Shredded Cheddar Cheese.
- Add to the large bowl your onion, garlic, spinach mix and the lentils.
- Add pepper and salt to taste
- Pour all the ingredients into a baking dish sprayed with non-stick spray.
- Top with 1/4 cup Feta cheese.
- Bake 35 – 40 minutes.
The Lentil Casserole was served with green beans and Kugel!
All of us are pretty well spent tonight so we are toes up and out for the night. Enjoy yours! By the way… thanks for your emails, I would love your comments as well.