When you visit the produce section of the grocery store, do you look for something different to cook? A little variety in your vegetables or are you the type that prefers to stay with what is most familiar? I’m ALWAYS on the look out for variety.
This week the orange caught my eye. Orange Cauliflower. It is also known as “Cheddar Cauliflower” (no explanation needed). It was originally discovered almost 40 years ago in Canada. However the taste wasn’t perfected until the scientists at Cornell’s Experiment Station crossbred it and developed the germplasm.
The flavor is like white cauliflower. However, the beta-carotene which gives it the orange pigment, provides a healthy source of Vitamin A when consumed, 25 times more than white cauliflower. The retinol values (the usable form of Vitamin A good for vision and bone growth) in comparison: Copied from the source above (www.nysaes.cornell.edu)
- Orange Cauliflower= 54 RE
- Green Peas = 64 RE
- Lima Beans = 30 RE
- Sweet Corn = 28 RE
- Cabbage = 13 RE
Tonight’s recipe is Orange & Green Roasted Florets
- 1 head of Orange Cauliflower, the florets cut off the stem
- 1/2 head of Broccoli, florets cut off of stems
- 1/2 chopped onion
- 1/2 TBS fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 2 TBS Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
Preheat oven to 450 F.
Mix together all the florets, onion, garlic, turmeric, olive oil, salt and pepper. Put into a roasting dish, cover and roast 30 minutes. Uncover, stir around, and continue roasting 10 minutes. Sprinkle with chopped mint upon serving.
Did you realize that if you over indulge in veggies rich in beta carotene, carrots for example, you will notice an orange hue to your skin? The condition is known as “CAROTENEMIA”. Take note for next Halloween! 🙂
NOTES and ANNOUNCEMENTS:
1. Pistachio recall… this came from Paramount Farms requesting you find out more about the recall on pistachios and brand associations. Please visit http://www.pistachiorecall.org/ for more information.
2. It’s a FAGE yogurt giveaway. Go see the Hungry Yogini and leave a comment.