A good old standby. It usually gets better the second day you eat it. So making it ahead of time is quite a bonus.
This recipe will serve 10 -12 of your favorite dinner companions.
- 3 to 4 cups of your favorite marinara sauce
- 2 medium eggplants, peeled and sliced lengthwise in 1/4″ slices
- 1 cup of flour put into a gallon size plastic bag
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 1/2 cups bread crumbs: add 1 TBS Italian seasoning, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper, 1 TBS chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 cups freshly grated Mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 350 F.
In the bag of flour, add your eggplant slices and toss and turn to lightly coat. In a bowl, whisk together the eggs and the milk. Dip the eggplant slices into the egg mixture then into the breadcrumbs.
In a skillet with high sides, heat the oil with the butter. When it is hot, add the eggplant (don’t overcrowd) and brown each side (about 3-4 min. /side). Remove and drain on papertowel.
In a large lasagne pan, add enough marinara sauce to cover bottom. Add a layer of eggplant, add more sauce just, about 3/4 to 1 cup. sprinkle on 1/3 of your parmesan and 1/3 of your mozzarella. Add another layer of eggplant and repeat with sauce and cheese. Add last layer of eggplant, cover with remaining sauce and remaining cheeses. Bake in oven for 45 minutes, uncovered. Let sit 10 minutes before serving.
Now a weekend in review…
1. The 5K on Sat. didn’t happen for me. I decided to go for a 5 1/4 run with Shane up Sherman Dr. After going a mile and a half up that incline, my legs said “you’re not doing any race today”. I listened.
2. The movie ” Bride Wars” was cute and enjoyable. Not a movie for a man, but a nice “chic flick”.
3. A wonderful surprise in the mail. Meghan sent me a beautiful picture of herself celebrating her birthday at school. What a cutie… thanks Eileen!
4. Nancy came up with a wonderful idea of having brunch since the guys were out of town. So three of us went to the Radisson for a wonderful buffet of everything you can possibly want. They offer breakfast, lunch and dessert items. Mimosas and champagne were flowing. I had both
The weekend went by fast since I was busy with chores and playing with Shane. Keeping busy while Ted was away. Even though the time to myself is nice once and a while, it sure will be nice seeing him walk through that door.
Have a great evening all.