The Fifth of May. That would be tomorrow however, I like to be ahead of the game. For Mexico, it is a celebration of Mexican history and pride. For the USA, it is a celebration for Americans with Mexican heritage. For me, it’s an excuse to create something “Mexican” for dinner.
Since we are having leftovers (that would be Eggplant Parmesan), I wanted something easy on the side. Now I know what you are thinking. “Eggplant Parm is Italian… WHHAAATT is she thinking?!!!!” I realize the cultural implications however, it’s just Ted and myself tonight so there is no pressure in trying to impress, just to enjoy a tasty meal. We like Eggplant and we like this slaw, therefore, the task at hand is to create a satisfying Monday night dinner, and that was accomplished. Read on dear friends.
- 1/4 small head of purple cabbage, washed and sliced thin
- 1/4 small head of green cabbage, washed and sliced thin
- 8 oz can of Mexican corn (or use plain corn)
- 1/2 green pepper, small chop
- 1/2 red pepper, small chop
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped (or use 1 TBS dried)
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 TBS EVOO
- 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp of red pepper (or to taste)
Toss the cabbage, corn, peppers together. In a bowl, mix the lime, cilantro, vinegar, EVOO, salt and pepper together. Pour the liquid over the sliced/chopped vegetables, toss and enjoy. ¡que lo disfrutes con salud! (I hope you enjoy it!)