Watkins Glen Picture Show and More, Part I
May 30, 2009 by applec
The following is a photo recap of our two days working the Porsche Clash at The Glen 2009. It was an incredible experience.
Nitrogen into the car - that lifts the car so tires can be changed, etc. when in the pit
Speed Racer - in the Sunoco Garage at the Glen
More cars in the Sunoco Garage
Lining the cars up in the Grid
- Grid Sheet: Look for the no. of the car approaching and direct them into the correct grid position indicated by numbered cones.
As volunteers at the Glen, Ted and I were assigned to The Grid. We directed the drivers into the start positions indicated by numbered cones. You couldn’t get too close in front of the car because sometimes the cars “lurch” forward. You couldn’t get behind the cars, the drivers can’t see you. You had to check the cars for everything to be fastened down and to make sure the tires were not in the gravel. The race tires are so soft, everything sticks to them and the drivers don’t like the gravel stuck in their tires – understandably.
- Ted and I have a boxter but we have a soft top. This is a boxter race car, but with a hard top. Our car is pictured later on in the post.
- One minute to start – all lined up, engines reving, get ready…..you better shut your door, Guy!
- Go! Cars leaving the Grid
- Racing on the track as seen from the Grid area
- Joanne trying to bum a ride
- Ted was impressed with this one for whatever reason
- Did we get on the track? You betcha! Thunder Road Baby!
During the lunch break, they open the track to any vehicle/driver who wants to pay for a track tour. We decided it would be a fun event and so we experienced “Thunder Road”. We were amazed at the hair pin turns those drivers must make going at the speeds they race. There are turns and cambers that challenge the most experienced drivers. In fact, while we were in the staging area waiting for the pace car, the clean up crew were sent to the track. Someone had a mishap, dumped oil or worse. The following photos are while we were on the track with our little sporty car.
One of those challenging turns
The Finish Line
The Pace Car
- Ted and Joanne with Sporty at Thunder Road Finish Line
Tomorrow will be part 2 of our trip. That will include the cute little “Herb Cottage” Bed and Breakfast where we stayed, the wonderful food, and a visit to a very well known Vegetarian Restaurant in Ithaca, New York. See you tomorrow.