As promised, tonight’s dinner was based on a recipe right out of the Nakano “Unexpected Favorites” booklet that arrived in the mail yesterday with my FREE Nakano vinegar coupon. I happened to have, already on hand, a bottle of the Nakano Natural Rice Vinegar.
The booklet of 36 recipes is so enlightening in regards to the uses for vinegar. Vinegar is used in hot and cold dishes, as a dressing AND as an ingredient. Soups, salads, side dishes and entrees. Amazing.
The following recipe was adjusted for portion size and on-hand ingredients but the original is found on page 20 of the noted booklet: “Grilled Tuna with Fresh Tomato, Cucumber and Dill Relish”.
- 2 TBS Nakano Natural Rice Vinegar
- 1 TBS Extra Virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- approx. 1/8 tsp oregano, pinch garlic, and about 3 small leaves of basil-chopped
- pinch salt
- fresh ground pepper ( about 6 grinds)
- 1 8 oz tuna steak
- 2 Plum tomatoes, diced
- 2 radishes, sliced and quartered
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled and diced
- approx. 1/8 tsp oregano, pinch garlic, and fresh basil (as above)
- 1 tsp dried dill
My recipe will serve 2. Combine 1 TBS vinegar, oil, oregano, garlic, basil, salt, pepper and mix well. Put the tuna in a sealable plastic bag and pour in the marinade. Make sure the tuna is well coated with the marinade and refrigerate a minimum of 20 minutes or up to 2 hours. NOTE: This recipe uses the Nakano seasoned vinegar which is seasoned with basil and oregano or the roasted garlic flavor. That’s why I added my 3 flavors of dried oregano, powdered garlic, and fresh basil.
In a small bowl, combine the tomato, cucumber, radishes, herbs, dill and remaining 1 TBS vinegar. Season with pepper and salt. Set aside.
Remove the tuna from marinade. Grill tuna over medium – high heat for 4 to 5 minutes per side depending on thickness of fish and how you enjoy it cooked. Top with tomato – cucumber-radish mix.
How about some helpful ingredient substitution tips? This is an old article from Cooking Light magazine.
- 1 TBS caper = 1 TBS chopped dill pickles or green olives
- 1 stalk chopped lemongrass = 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- 1 tsp chile paste = 1/4 tsp hot red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup honey = 1/2 cup molasses or maple syrup
- 1 cup tahini = 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter and 1/4 cup sesame oil
- 1 tsp cider vinegar = 2 tsp lemon juice with a pinch of sugar
- 1 tsp wasabi = 1 tsp horseradish or hot dry mustard
- 1 cup buttermilk = 1 cup whole milk + 1 TBS lemon juice, stir well
- 1 tsp baking powder = 1/4 tsp baking soda with 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 TBS cornstarch = 2 TBS all-purpose flour or 4 TBS quick cooking tapioca.
There you go! Cook on friends.