- This produces a somewhat dry pancake. You can add a little fat to it to make it moister by way of 1 whole egg instead of a white, or olive oil for cooking, or peanut butter instead of the yogurt… maybe even plain yogurt which has a little fat. Note that the nutritional values will change.
It’s your choice because I offer different nutritional results depending on what topping you opt for. You can of course substitute main ingredients such as oats and your fav. protein, but you will have different nutritional results.
This is a healthy breakfast option which incorporates your Protein, Breakfast Grain, and Fruit.
- 1/4 cup Bob’s Red Mill 5 Grain Rolled Cereal w/ Flax (you can use Rolled Oats if you like)
- 1/2 tsp Apple Pie Spice (or simply add cinnamon)
- 1/2 Scoop VPX Whey Protein (use your protein of choice)
- 1 Egg White
- 1 to 2 TBS water (or you can use Soy milk)
- 1 TBS Greek Yogurt, Fage 0% Fat
- 1/2 apple, chopped small (you can peel if you prefer but there is goodness in the skin)
- 1/2 tsp honey
- 2 TBS Maple Syrup (see below for substitutions: 1. the other 1/2 of your apple or 2. 1 TBS P-Nut Butter (1/2 TBS on each cake or 3. 2 TBS Apple Butter.)
Mix together the dry cereal, apple pie spice, VPX protein, egg white, water and
yogurt. Let sit about 20 min. while you get ready for work or play.
Set pan on stove top to med. heat and spray with non – stick spray
Divide batter into 2 circles and cook about 2 min. on first side and 1
min second side. You will have to form the circles as your batter cooks a little because it will spread.
Put your chopped apple in the pan while your batter is cooking – keep it
away from the batter.
Once your cakes have been flipped and cooked 1 min. 2nd side , scoop the heated
apples into the middle of each and drizzle with honey. Now sandwich the cakes, filling side down.
Serve topped with 1 TBS topping .
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
WITH 2 TBS MAPLE SYRUP / 1 TBS per Cake
Per Serving: 309 Calories; 1g Fat (4.0% calories
from fat); 19g Protein; 59g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol;
WITH OTHER 1/2 OF YOUR APPLE, CHOPPED and PUT ON TOP: 246 cal.; 2 g Fat; (5.6% calories from fat) 19g Protein; 43g Carbohydrate; 7g Dietary Figer; 0 Chol.; 70 mg Sodium.
WITH 1 TBS Peanut Butter (1/2 TBS on each Cake): 301 cal.; 10 g Fat; (27.1% calories from fat) 23g Protein; 35g Carbohydrate; 7g Dietary Figer; 0 Chol.; 146 mg Sodium.
WITH 2 TBS APPLE BUTTER ( 1 TBS per Cake): 279 cal.; 1 g Fat; (4.2% calories from fat) 19g Protein; 51g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Figer; 0 Chol.; 70 mg Sodium.