Using fresh beans, you will have to begin well ahead of time. Makes about 6 servings.
- 1/2 lb of dried red beans: Put into 3 cups of hot water and boil 2 minutes. Turn of heat and let soak for at least 2 hours.
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup broccoli florets, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 7 -8 cherry tomatoes chopped
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- I added left over squash and added about 4 spears of asparagus on top of simmering curry (optional)
- 2 TBS white wine/or red wine – vinegar.
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth.
- 1 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp tumeric
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- grated cheese (optional)
Rinse beans and add fresh hot water, turn on med heat and let heat gently about 2 hours. When they are tender, prepare the following.
Heat olive oil in large stove top pan. Saute onion, broccoli, celery, cherry tomatoes, green pepper about 8-10 minutes. Add curry powder, tumeric, red pepper flakes. Stir around. Drain your heated beans an add to pan. Stir around. Add canned tomatoes, vinegar, veggie broth, salt and pepper to taste. Bring to boil then reduce to simmer and let simmer about 1/2 hour. To serve, top with grated cheese.
*I also added some left over squash from the previous night. So don’t hesitate to toss in some additional veg. for a one dish meal.